Today I took our Zimbra installation for a test drive, and it rides like a dream.(Nice work Kelly)We are now offering corporate email solutions to discerning clients who want to embrace the scalable solutions that plug into our mobile lifestyle.While email use has increased dramatically with the growth of the Internet, the underlying messaging systems most enterprises count on to keep pace were generally designed more than a decade ago. These older systems can be frail and challenging to run in today’s frenetic climate.
Zimbra has leveraged the strength of the open source philosophy to innovate enterprise communication:
- Transform email and collaboration to become more efficient
- Make administration and integration less painful
- Drive down the total cost of ownership (TCO) in enterprise messaging
The Collaboration Suite can be accessed from a wide range of devices, from mass market handsets to smartphones. The features offered are ideal for integrating the diverse mix of devices end-users are choosing and maximizes mobility throughout your organization.
In addition to supporting mobile POP and IMAP access, Zimbra is the only open source solution for Linux and Mac servers supporting access to your email, contacts, and calendar via:
- Mobile Web Browsers – All devices with HTML capable browsers, including the Apple iPhone, have real time access to the Server using the mobile web client.
- Java Enabled Devices – Popular devices, such as the Motorola RAZR, support Mobile Edition; an elegant client experience with over-the-air (OTA) Server sync
- Smartphones – Native OTA synchronization and push email on Windows, Palm, and Symbian OS devices with Zimbra Mobile
- BlackBerry – Completely native OTA synchronization between the Zimbra Server and BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) to all BlackBerry devices with Zimbra Mobile Connector for BES
The Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) provides state-of-the-art messaging and collaboration solutions (email, address book, calendaring, web documents, etc.) for businesses to either deploy on your own premises or through your ISP.
ZCS has much to offer to business users:
- Higher end-user productivity
- Rich Web 2.0/Ajax user interface ith sharing, search, RSS, VoIP, tagging, etc.
- Wiki-based collaboration for simple document/spreadsheet authoring, ad hoc sharing, and inclusion of desktop documents/public folders.
- Extensible mash-up/portlet architecture or easily integrating intranet applications and Internet web services.
- Support for a broad range of email clients (Microsoft Outlook, Apple, Linux) and mobile devices via “over the air” sync.
- Easy “reskinning” and rebranding of the Zimbra UI to enhance the business brand.
- Low total cost of ownership (TCO)
- Web and mobile delivery to accommodate IT and non-IT (or boundary) workers at the lowest possible cost.
- Software appliance for decreased administrative overhead.
- Server consolidation based on scalability and increased functionality (native mobility, collaboration, archiving, etc.).
- Volume and hierarchical storage management (HSM), as well as a single-copy message store to accommodate large quotas on commodity storage.
- Cross-mailbox search for litigation discovery, policy, and compliance.
- Native anti-spam (AS) and anti-virus (AV).
- Strong internet-based security (SSL/TLS for all protocols) that does not require a VPN, and supports single sign-on via business’s portal.
- Class of service provisioning for all major features.
At the same time, Zimbra also uniquely protects your business’s investment:
- ZCS is itself open source.
- ZCS leverages mature open source server infrastructure – Linux/Unix file system for the message store, MySQL for meta-data storage, Apache for web container, Lucene for search, etc.
- ZCS supports standard protocols for interoperability – POP3, IMAP4, iCalendar, HTTP/S, REST, RSS, MAPI, iSync, and so on.
- All ZCS operations and network protocols use open XML/SOAP for easy bi-directional integration with business applications (whether on-premises or hosted).
- Integration with existing LDAP/Active Directory, security (AS/AV), and compliance infrastructure.
- Zimbra uses standard MIME format for storing messages on disk (one message/file), which means the formats are open to operating system utilities and scripts.
- Zimbra worked in collaboration with IBM to co-found the Open Ajax Alliance to ensure that Web 2.0/Ajax solutions like Zimbra remain viable across clients, operating systems, browsers, and languages, just as is the case for the World-wide Web.
So if you want to move your corporate messaging to the next level, give us a call and we will be glad to show you the ropes.